Malocclusion in rabbits occurs when their teeth are misaligned and lead to overgrown teeth.
Rabbits have six incisor teeth - two on top, two on bottom, and two peg teeth located behind the top teeth. Normal incisor wear, growth, and eruption in healthy rabbits is balanced to a rate of about 3mm a week.
Frequently observed dental problems from self-trimming with a cutter or nail clipper include the following:
- Sharp edges, that can hurt the rabbit when eating or grooming.
- Stress fracture or longitudinal cracks in the tooth, either in the visible part or under the gum line.
- Tooth growth stopping due to damage of the tooth root (endodontic diseases).
- Exposure of the dental pulp resulting in pulpitis (inflammation of the most internal part of a tooth, the dental pulp).
- Abscessation and changes of the surrounding tissues and the alveolar bone.
- Fracture of the jaw bone.
- Pain due to the sudden concussion of the dental pulp and nerves in the periodontal and periapical tissues surrounding the tooth root, due to the enormous amount of energy released into the tooth during the clipping.
- MediRabbit.com. Never trim the incisors of your rabbit yourself !!!
- u/headpeon. (2019). Experience with Percy's teeth removal: comment 1, comment 2, post 3
- Angie Bell. (2019). Minto's story
- Bunny Lu Adoptions, Inc. (2019). Incisor extraction for Oreo
- Dick Vet Rabbit and Exotic Practice. (2018). Pictures of removed incisors (Graphic)
- Allambie Vet. (2018). Phoebe (Graphic)
- Dr Bree. (2017). A bunny that required incisor removal due to malocclusion and disease (Graphic)
- Contra Costa Rabbit Rescue. (2017). Astro's incisor removal
- u/zealotlee. (2015). Sushi is going in for lateral ear surgery to remove a staph infection AND getting his incisors removed today.
- r/Rabbits. (2015). any buns with malocclusion out there?
- Pete the Vet. (2017). Button had stopped eating and was rubbing at his mouth
- Tania Castaneda. (2002). What to Do When Bunny Foo Won't Chew
- Sari Kanfer, DVM. (2002). Dental Problems in Rabbits
- Marinell Harriman. When Chester Couldn't Chew
- Diana Petty. When Teeth Turn to Tusks
- Universities Federation for Animal Welfare. (2011). Netherland Dwarf - Dental Malocclusion
- Belle Mead Animal Hospital. (2016). Rabbit teeth malocclusion – detection and treatment
- PetMD. Abnormality of Incisor Teeth in Rabbits
- Foster and Smith, Inc. Veterinarians May Need to Trim the Overgrown Teeth of Rabbits
- MediRabbit. Never trim the incisors of your rabbit yourself !!!
- Long Beach Animal Hospital. Rabbit Teeth Problems (Graphic)
The following are some videos of teeth surgeries in rabbits:
- YouTube, FastUpOnRabbitCare
- Bird and Exotic Animal Clinic. (2018). Facebook video of a mouth exam of a sedated rabbit with molar spurs.