Special needs rabbits
The following contain more information about blind rabbit care.
- DisabledRabbits.com. Blindness in Rabbits
- Bunny Eats Design. (2014). Tofu Tuesday: 10 tips for looking after a blind rabbit
- Joanna Campbell. Do Blind Rabbits Need Special Care?
- Lucile Moore & Kathy Smith. (2008). When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care: Traditional and Alternative Healing Methods > Loss of Sight
- Kathy Smith. (2003). Blindness [PDF]
Below are some more discussions about caring for blind rabbits.
- BinkyBunny. (2017). Caring for a blind rabbit?
- BinkyBunny. (2009). Thoughts and suggestions for Chuck? Update-videos!!
- BinkyBunny. (2010). Tashi the Blind Bunny
Below are some useful articles for owners of rabbits that are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
- Buckeye House Rabbit Society, Harelines, Volume 2 Number 1, Cindy Scheel, How can you be deaf with ears like That?
Here are some useful discussions about deaf bunnies:
- Rabbits Online, Calling those with deaf bunnies...
- Flickr, Bunny Lovers Unite, Deaf bunny – exchange of experience?
- Bunspace, Symptoms of deafness
The following are some case studies about lame rabbits and the decision to amputate a limb or not:
- Frances Harcourt-Brown, A lame rabbit. Published Sep 2015.
More Diaper Information:
"Healthy rabbits do not need to wear a diaper at all. Rabbits are very clean animals, they will use a litter box once trained. Bunnies who are not neutered or spayed will territory mark with their poo pellets. Every now again a poop may not make it into the litter box, a simple sweep with a dust pan and broom is all it takes to clean it up." - Sunshine Cavies
- Sunshine Cavies blog, by Kaitlen Rose, Diapers for Rabbits?
Information and examples of where to obtain carts and wheelchairs along with custom DIY examples and plans for carts and wheelchairs for your rabbit:
- Dolly - A Little Disabled Rabbit. Wheelchair plans
- DisabledRabbits.com. Wheelchairs
- K9 Carts. Wheelchairs
- Doggon' Wheels. Rear support wheelchairs
- Instructables. How to Make a Cat Wheelchair
Tripod rabbits are bunnies that have had a limb amputated for various reasons.
The following are some more resources about limb loss in rabbits:
- DisabledRabbits.com, Limb Loss in Rabbits
Here are some stories about rabbits that have had a limb amputated.
- The Rabbit Haven. (2017). Karysha, Rabbit with a Severe Leg Fracture Needs Surgery and Your Support.
- The Rabbit Haven. (2014). Cassie - Kicked and Injured Bunny Needs Help.
- The Rabbit Haven. (2013). Kimmie's Story.
- The Rabbit Haven. (2008). Jossalin's Story
- Rabbit Rescue & Rehab. (2004). Yoodie's Amputation: Losing a Leg, Getting a Life.
- House Rabbit Society, Melissa K. Bevington. Kenny's Story: Adjusting to life with three legs
- House Rabbit Network, Ellie Hulse. (2008). Three Legs - No Problem!.
- Tripawds. (2012). The Miracle of Clyde the Three-legged Senior Tripawd Rabbit.
- Bibble's Bunny Sanctuary. Cassie the 3-legged rabbit.
The following are some discussions about tripod bunnies.
- BinkyBunny.com. (2011). Tripod Bunnies.
- Bunspace. (2008). Tripod Rabbits.
- Rabbits United. (2013). Please meet my tripod foster bunny........
- Reddit, /r/rabbits. (2015). Flemish Giant advice needed.
The following are some tripod bunny pages.
- Facebook, Toby Trefoil, the Tripod bunny
Cold laser therapy
The following are a few additional resources on the procedure:
- Teresa Bradley Bays, DVM. (2013). Alternative Therapies to Treat Rabbit Pain and Musculoskeletal Issues and to Stimulate Wound Healing
- Grant Steinkellner. Cold Laser Therapy For Rabbits
The following are a few experiences with the procedure:
- u/bunnyxjam. (2019). We have our first laser therapy appointment in 1hr! I hope hope hope this gives Charlie his mobility back.
- Christelle L. Del Prete. (2018). Laser therapy helps Rusty
- u/cinnabuncutie. (2017). Pickles's laser therapy treatment session
- Rabbit Advocates. (2015). The Rabbit Advocate, Spring 2015, "Laser therapy may speed healing, ease pain"
In some cases, rabbits can do very well with hydrotherapy. These facilities are specifically designed for small animals and the staff is expertly trained to deal with rabbits in and around water.
More information on hydrotherapy for rabbits:
- Barbara Rainey. (2003). NYC Metro Rabbit News, Fall 2003, "Swimming to Success"
Below are some online communities geared towards special needs rabbits that you can join.
- Cats & Rabbits & More, Lucile Moore, The Special World of Special Needs
- Lucile Moore & Kathy Smith, When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care: Traditional and Alternative Healing Methods
- Bright Eyes Sanctuary, Special Needs Rabbits & Other Animals
- House Rabbit Society, Marinell Harriman, Caring for the Chronically Ill
The following are videos of some disabled rabbits:
Below are related link collections.
- Cats & Rabbits & More, Disabled Rabbits