Cleaning after your rabbit
As the owner of one or more rabbits, there is no avoiding hay and fur getting all over your home. The following are some tools and tips to help you clean up after your bun.
Below are links that describe the regular cleaning that you will have to do with a pet rabbit.
- About.com, Lianne McLeod, Rabbit Cages - Cleaning Tips
- Yahoo! Voices, Cassandra James, How to Keep Your Apartment Clean with an Indoor Rabbit - Daily Hygiene is Everything
- House Rabbit Society, Marinell Harriman, A Clean Environment: Tips from HRS's Bunny Care Experts
Cleaning stains and disinfecting
There are several safe products available for you to clean up any urine stains that your bunny may have left. The following listed are especially useful as they break down the traces of urine scent that plain soap and water are unable to eliminate. Any hint of such scents can end up with regular re-marking and poor litter habits.
- Diluted white vinegar - Usually, a 1:1 ratio is sufficient.
- Nature's Miracle Stain and Odor Remover
- KIDS 'N' PETS Brand Stain & Odor Remover - Also available at most Walmarts at a significantly lower price.
- Rocco and Roxie's Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator
- Woolite Pet Stain & Odor Remover + Oxygen Trigger
- Resolve Pet Stain & Odor Carpet Cleaner
- Venus Laboratories Earth Friendly (Petastic) Pet Stain & Odor Remover Spray
- Bubba's Rowdy Friends Pet Stain & Odor Terminator
Be careful of using any harsh chemicals like bleach and ammonia around your rabbit since rabbits love to lick and chew anything in sight. It could be deadly.
The following are some links with more information on rabbit-safe cleansers.
- Tau Topics, Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants
- kidsorganics.com, Natural Alternatives to Pesticides and Other Toxins > All-Purpose Cleaners
Brooms and brushes
Rubber works well to attract pet fur from your floor for easy clean up.
- Chemical Guys ACCS06 Professional Rubber Pet Hair Removal Brush
- Carrand 93112 Lint and Hair Removal Brush
- Petmate Pet Hair Magnet
- Everholder FURemover Broom
- Evriholder Mini FURemover Pet Hair Removal Brush
Commercial residential vacuums are typically not well-equipped to vacuum up full strands of hay from the floor. The best way to clean the ground is to first use a broom and your hands to pick up the majority of the hay and poop and only then use the vacuum to clean up the rest of the fluff and dust.
If hay gets clogged in the tubing, snake drain clog tools are great for pulling out the hay caught in finicky corners.
The following are a list of vacuums that bunny owners have used with varying levels of success:
- Shark Navigator Lift-Away Vacuum (NV352) - bagless, motorized brush, swivel steering, 24" crevice tool, small pet hair power brush, 9.25" cleaning path, 1200 W power, 25' cord, 12.5 lbs.
- Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away (NV501) - bagless, motorized brush, swivel steering, 12" crevice tool, small pet hair power brush, 1200 W power, 9.5" cleaning path, 30' cord, 15.8 lb.
- Dyson DC25 Animal Ball-Technology Upright Vacuum Cleaner - bagless, motorized brush, 16' telescoping wand, 11" cleaning path, 220 AW suction, 24.6' cord, 16 lbs.
- Dyson DC28 Animal - bagless, 16' telescoping wand, 13.5" cleaning path, 245 AW suction, 35.2' cord, 20.61 lbs.
- Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Dyson DC41 Animal Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
- Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Pet Rewind Plus Upright Vacuum, Bagless
- BISSELL 67F8 Rewind Premier Pet
- BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser Dual-Cyclonic Upright Vacuum
- Eureka Easy Clean 2 in 1 Lightweight Vacuum, 169B - bagless, on/off motorized brush, 10" cleaning path, 2 amps power, 15' cord, 4.4 lbs.
- Hoover Corded Cyclonic Stick Vacuum, SH20030 - bagless, on/off motorized brush, 11" cleaning path, 2 amps power, 20' cord, 7.3 lbs.
- Eureka Hand-Held Vacuum - bagless, crevice tool, on/off motorized brush, 6" cleaning path, 5.5 amps power, 20' cord, 4.8 lbs.
- UK - Electrolux Stair and Carvac Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner - bagless, crevice tool, on/off motorized brush, 700 W power, 20' cord, 2.6 kg.
- BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum, Corded - bagless, 4" cleaning path, 4 amps power, 6m cord, 5 lbs.
- BISSELL Cleanview Deluxe Corded Handheld Vacuum
- Bunny Lovers Unite. (2008). Best bunny vacuum.
- Reddit. (2012). Rabbit Vacuums???
- Reddit. (2013). Vacuum cleaner discussion.
- Reddit. (2013). Hay, hair and all those little poops! In the market for a vacuum - need your thoughts.
- RabbitsOnline. (2011). What is Best vacuum cleaner /shop vac or combo for cleaning rabbits.